Apple Cider Vinegar for Chickens
Stockhealth Double Strength Apple Cider Vinegar
While the efficacy of Apple Cider Vinegar in ruminants as a tonic has not been extensively studied, research into its use with poultry has revealed definitive benefits. The apple cider causes an alkaline effect in the animal which may help with maladies.
Apple Cider Vinegar is full of vitamins, minerals and trace elements. It helps to lower the pH level in the stomach, helping digestion and making it a less friendly for harmful pathogens.
Specialist poultry researchers at the University of Arkansas have run trials on the use of products like ACV in the water of broiler (chickens raised for meat) production systems, to reduce pH levels.
Previous research has shown that if the pH of the crop (basically the first part of the chicken’s stomach) was lowered close to a pH of 4 (acid), it creates an environment that was inhospitable to undesirable microbes, particularly nasty bacterias.
Results from a number of trials found no significant differences in the level of water consumption, weight gain, feed conversion or livability between chickens tested on water varying from pH3 to pH5. The birds who consumed water with a lower ph did however record a similarly low pH in their crops, but not in the gizzard – as was expected due to the natural secretions of hydrochloric acid in the gizzard evening out the pH to normal.
Scientists involved reached the conclusion that chickens are very tolerant of a wide range of pH levels in their water, and that by lowering the pH of the water using sodium bisulfate, they could lower the pH of the bird’s crop.
The use of Apple Cider Vinegar in the water supply of your chickens daily should help to prevent bacteria building up in the crop of your birds.
Stockhealth provides 2 variants of their apple cider vinegar product suitable for your farm animals – Traditional Apple Cider Vinegar and Apple Cider Vinegar with Garlic Extract. Research shows that garlic essential oil can help your stock by working as an effective preventative of adverse conditions. There are also results from research at Clemson University which demonstrate that the addition of garlic into the birds’ feed can reduce the odour of the chicken’s manure without affecting the taste of the eggs produced.
- A specially formulated DOUBLE STRENGTH (8%) unpasteurised natural supplement for all livestock.
- It is unpasteurised, therefore retaining the ‘mother of vinegar’ which is vital in preserving all vitamins and minerals.
- It is high in acetic and malic NATURAL acids.
- It is a rich source of potassium and is quickly assimilated. Potassium is necessary to build strength and fight bacteria by flushing out toxins.
- It has both internal and external benefits and is an excellent cleaning product.
Suggested Dosage Rates
- POULTRY 1ml per bird per day added to feed or water. Apple Cider Vinegar may create quicker feathering and quicker growth. Meat from any bird or animal fed with Apple Cider Vinegar is more tender. 20ml of Apple Cider Vinegar can also be put into an icecream container.
Please note – the above rates are only guides – please contact us if you need more detail
Certain information has been removed from this web site under threat of prosecution, as natural products such as Apple Cider Vinegar and its benefits cannot be substantiated by professional means. Even though they are time proven and if a search is done – (benefits of using Apple Cider Vinegar) – using Google, there are a myriad of examples to be seen.
If you would like to speak to one of our consultants who work with farmers in all industries, please either email us or phone us using the details on our contact page.